The Shining

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

megman
Nanook of the North

The Shining

Post by megman »

Always been one of my favorite movies. And this arrived today...

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: The Shining

Post by Reservoir Dog »

SWEET!
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

The book was one of my all time favorite reading experiences.
wut?
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Wut wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 pm The book was one of my all time favorite reading experiences.
Yeah, I read almost everything Stephen King wrote when I was a kid. Good stuff.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Wut wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 pm The book was one of my all time favorite reading experiences.
Yep. It's a masterpiece imho.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

The book was good too.

Kubrick put the screws to Stephen King when he made the movie. There was a few fuck you's going on in it only because he knew it would irk King.

There is a documentary called Room 237 that was made by Filmmaker Rodney Asch and Kubrick had nothing to do or say about it. The whole thing is interpretations about the movie itself.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

the first time i saw that movie, i was more confused than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

i had never heard of it and had no idea what it was about.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Flumper wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:56 pm the first time i saw that movie, i was more confused than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

i had never heard of it and had no idea what it was about.
Kubrick put a religious spin on it that King didn't.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:37 pm
Agree. Just thought "The Stand" was his crowning achievement. And if you are a writer, hearing my reaction (everybody) to one his earliest works probably gave him immense satisfaction. In movies, it's a lot easier to cause emotional responses. When reading "Salem's Lot" for the first time, those people in that house as the Sun sets behind the hills. The character breaks through the door and crushes the parents head together. Goose bumps from the top of my head to my toenails. Impressive writing.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 pm
Agree. Just thought "The Stand" was his crowning achievement. And if you are a writer, hearing my reaction (everybody) to one his earliest works probably gave him immense satisfaction. In movies, it's a lot easier to cause emotional responses. When reading "Salem's Lot" for the first time, those people in that house as the Sun sets behind the hills. The character breaks through the door and crushes the parents head together. Goose bumps from the top of my head to my toenails. Impressive writing.
The movies are only "based" on his books and are usually off-based.

In Cujo the book, the kid dies a terrible death at the end. In the movie, he lived. Totally ruined it.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

megman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:18 pm
The movies are only "based" on his books and are usually off-based.

In Cujo the book, the kid dies a terrible death at the end. In the movie, he lived. Totally ruined it.
Agreed. Feel like in the mini-series category, "The Stand" was most faithful to the book. In movies, it was Brian De Palma's "Carrie".
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:25 pm "The Stand" was most faithful to the book. In movies, it was Brian De Palma's "Carrie".
The Dead Zone, Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption were more faithful to the original work.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:25 pm "The Stand" was most faithful to the book. In movies, it was Brian De Palma's "Carrie".
The Dead Zone, Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption were more faithful to the original work.
Excellent examples. I still revisit "The Dead Zone" from time to time. Awesome movie.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 pm
Excellent examples. I still revisit "The Dead Zone" from time to time. Awesome movie.
I'd also add "Misery" and "The Green Mile" to that list of most faithful movies.

"Carrie" isn't even in the top 10.
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

Been sick with the flu for the last week or so. Rented Doctor Sleep. Holy shit it was really good. Completely different than the Shining but a decent sequel nonetheless.

The Shining was a visual journey, slow paced, deliberate. Doctor Sleep was pure storytelling with minimal visual sequences. The ones they had were great though.

Worth the rental.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I read "Cujo" in fucking 3rd grade. I remember thinking it was good but wtf does a 3rd grader know? I think that's one I'll have to revisit.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 pm
I'd also add "Misery" and "The Green Mile" to that list of most faithful movies.

Dude. Carrie is and will always be near the top. Misery sucked
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 am

Well... you would be the one who knows how much misery sucks.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:21 am I read "Cujo" in fucking 3rd grade. I remember thinking it was good but wtf does a 3rd grader know? I think that's one I'll have to revisit.
It sucked on screen. Watch the following. Shining, Stand, Dead Zone, Carrie, Green mile, Shawshank,etc.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:37 am
WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 am

Well... you would be the one who knows how much misery sucks.
I'm trying to figure out if that's a movie review or an opinion
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

I liked, "Thinner."
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Yea, Salem's Lot is my favorite King book. Such a masterful retelling of the Dracula story brought up to date (as least when published). Sadly, no decent movie has ever been adapted from the book. Running Man and Misery are also favorites, and even if King didn't like it, I thought well of The Tommyknockers. Could have used a bit of an edit, but it was a great premise. But I never could quite get behind The Stand.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
windrunner
Forum God

Post by windrunner »

WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:56 pm
Yea, Salem's Lot is my favorite King book. Such a masterful retelling of the Dracula story brought up to date (as least when published). Sadly, no decent movie has ever been adapted from the book. Running Man and Misery are also favorites, and even if King didn't like it, I thought well of The Tommyknockers. Could have used a bit of an edit, but it was a great premise. But I never could quite get behind The Stand.
I remember watching the 2 hour TV Salem's Lot movie back in the day. Starred one of the 2 leads from the TV show "Starsky and Hutch". It sucked.