Guy thought he was slick...

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Guy thought he was slick...

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Since construction is everywhere now... I was driving home today and one of those asshats that think they are the merge police tried to "block" what they consider to be the "late mergers". He tried to take up both lanes with me approaching and it didnt go well for him. Too bad there was enough room for me to just go around him and proceed using all available lane space as intended. :lol:
Its not "cutting in" or being a jerk. Studies show its actually more efficient at moving traffic through a bottleneck.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Guy thought he was slick...

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:32 pm Since construction is everywhere now... I was driving home today and one of those asshats that think they are the merge police tried to "block" what they consider to be the "late mergers". He tried to take up both lanes with me approaching and it didnt go well for him. Too bad there was enough room for me to just go around him and proceed using all available lane space as intended. :lol:
Its not "cutting in" or being a jerk. Studies show its actually more efficient at moving traffic through a bottleneck.

So, you are admitting that you are one of those assholes that can't stand to actually merge early in a civilized manner but have to rush onward to the end trying to mass push a merger causing a major disruption in the traffic flow?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:50 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:32 pm Since construction is everywhere now... I was driving home today and one of those asshats that think they are the merge police tried to "block" what they consider to be the "late mergers". He tried to take up both lanes with me approaching and it didnt go well for him. Too bad there was enough room for me to just go around him and proceed using all available lane space as intended. :lol:

So, you are admitting that you are one of those assholes that can't stand to actually merge early in a civilized manner but have to rush onward to the end trying to mass push a merger causing a major disruption in the traffic flow?
I admit that I am one of those guys that, as proven, utilizes all of the available roadway because it actually moves traffic through the bottleneck faster. Merging too early hurts traffic flow as it needlessly backs up a single lane of traffic while another usable lane is still available. Its not a difficult concept if everyone does it (like they should).
Seems to me you are the one admitting to being one of those assholes trying block a lane and causing unnecessary delays. :lol:

How the zipper merge can help beat bottlenecks—and be the polite thing to do
https://www.bcaa.com/blog/2019/communit ... ottlenecks

ITRE Studying How Zipper Merges Reduce Congestion at Sites Across North Carolina
https://itre.ncsu.edu/itre-studying-how ... -carolina/

How the Zipper Merge Helps Traffic Flow
https://amainsider.com/zipper-merge/
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

I would submit that no matter what method is chosen for cars to enter a one lane merge, the end result of how long it takes for X number of cars to get through the merge and into the one lane is the exact same as long as the speed of the cars once in the one lane is the same.

Imagine you are pouring water through funnels and into a straw. If the water coming out of the straw is held at a constant velocity, then it doesn't matter what method you use to pour the water into the funnels.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:22 pm I would submit that no matter what method is chosen for cars to enter a one lane merge, the end result of how long it takes for X number of cars to get through the merge and into the one lane is the exact same as long as the speed of the cars once in the one lane is the same.

Imagine you are pouring water through funnels and into a straw. If the water coming out of the straw is held at a constant velocity, then it doesn't matter what method you use to pour the water into the funnels.
That may work in a laboratory, but that sure as Hell ain't the way it works out there on those roads, dude. :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:36 am

I admit that I am one of those guys that, as proven, utilizes all of the available roadway because it actually moves traffic through the bottleneck faster. Merging too early hurts traffic flow as it needlessly backs up a single lane of traffic while another usable lane is still available. Its not a difficult concept if everyone does it (like they should).
Seems to me you are the one admitting to being one of those assholes trying block a lane and causing unnecessary delays. :lol:

ITRE Studying How Zipper Merges Reduce Congestion at Sites Across North Carolina

OK. Now I get a clear picture of the kind of driver you are. Seen it for decades. Medium heavy traffic and in my rear view mirror see somebody weaving through traffic, slamming on his brakes, stomping on the accelerator, blows past me. 10 miles later, hit a red
light and the guy's vehicle is 4 in front of me. All that for a 3 second lead over me. :lol: Maybe Mrs Cheezy can help relieve that driver tension.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 pm

OK. Now I get a clear picture of the kind of driver you are. Seen it for decades. Medium heavy traffic and in my rear view mirror see somebody weaving through traffic, slamming on his brakes, stomping on the accelerator, blows past me. 10 miles later, hit a red
light and the guy's vehicle is 4 in front of me. All that for a 3 second lead over me. :lol: Maybe Mrs Cheezy can help relieve that driver tension.
This is why I do my best to never engage with you.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:02 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 pm

This is why I do my best to never engage with you.
I have no idea what that even means. My point (if you don't have to face it on a daily commute) is what's the rush. Just merge, be patient and deal with it
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:22 pm I would submit that no matter what method is chosen for cars to enter a one lane merge, the end result of how long it takes for X number of cars to get through the merge and into the one lane is the exact same as long as the speed of the cars once in the one lane is the same.

When there is minimal traffic early merging still works fine. As soon as traffic starts to get heavy though is where the early mergers fuck things up as they are now creating a longer single lane that by definition will increase the length of the backup and cause more stoppages instead of utilizing all available lane space and taking turns at the end.

"Michigan and Minnesota are among several states that have implemented the zipper merge and have decreased the length of backups to create safer, smoother driving conditions. At one zipper merge site in Michigan, the congestion area was reduced from 6 miles to 3 miles and the time spent in traffic was decreased dramatically, saving drivers an average of 15 to 25 minutes."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:09 am

When there is minimal traffic early merging still works fine. As soon as traffic starts to get heavy though is where the early mergers fuck things up as they are now creating a longer single lane that by definition will increase the length of the backup and cause more stoppages instead of utilizing all available lane space and taking turns at the end.

"Michigan and Minnesota are among several states that have implemented the zipper merge and have decreased the length of backups to create safer, smoother driving conditions. At one zipper merge site in Michigan, the congestion area was reduced from 6 miles to 3 miles and the time spent in traffic was decreased dramatically, saving drivers an average of 15 to 25 minutes."
i will admit that a well choreographed and organized solution would improve the situation. Like a marching band performing some complicated maneuver at half time. But, between people texting, talking on their phones, listening to the radio or being impatient, i'm not sure how that pans out in reality, though. I think most of the problem involves the combination of the rushed drivers that make quick moves and the timid drivers that are afraid they will get run into by someone. those two things just don't mix well
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Here in Florida, zipper merge would be a great idea, if people actually knew about it (most do, I'm sure) and drove with it in mind.

But these days, if it were made into law, it'd just be another law nobody would normally follow, even the cops. And the cops would use it like they do a lot of traffic laws, as an excuse to pull someone over for another real reason, like maybe to sniff out a car for pot.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:10 pm

i will admit that a well choreographed and organized solution would improve the situation. Like a marching band performing some complicated maneuver at half time. But, between people texting, talking on their phones, listening to the radio or being impatient, i'm not sure how that pans out in reality, though. I think most of the problem involves the combination of the rushed drivers that make quick moves and the timid drivers that are afraid they will get run into by someone. those two things just don't mix well
Yes. The studies Chezzy posted are all fine and dandy, but they don't take into account the human element. I've seen Zipper set-ups turn into complete clusterfucks because... PEOPLE!!!

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average human driver.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Yes. The studies Chezzy posted are all fine and dandy, but they don't take into account the human element. I've seen Zipper set-ups turn into complete clusterfucks because... PEOPLE!!!

Yes and yes.
The problem with the zipper merge is that it completely relies on people doing the right thing. Its a wonderful thing when its done right but I cant deny that it rarely happens.
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:05 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Yes and yes.
The problem with the zipper merge is that it completely relies on people doing the right thing. Its a wonderful thing when its done right but I cant deny that it rarely happens.
The problem with the zipper merge is that it completely relies on people doing the right thing. Its a wonderful thing when its done right but then you have idiot fucking moronic CDC types.

Ftfy
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

necronomous wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:24 pm The problem with the zipper merge is that it completely relies on people doing the right thing. Its a wonderful thing when its done right but then you have idiot fucking moronic CDC types.

Ftfy
It's almost exactly like the growing movement with traffic circles. It's a really great idea for making traffic move. Until one single person screws up the whole system due either to stupidity or ignorance or even sometimes malfeasance.

The next new "idea" is the diverging diamond interchange, swapping temporarily the lane positions. Great idea, until one ignoramus gets it all wrong and messes up all the other drivers.
https://www.clickorlando.com/traffic/20 ... d-to-know/
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I-90 and Hwy 18 interchange in King County WA is putting in one of those diamond things as we speak. I am interested to see how it works when done, because that area is TERRIBLE during rush hour, in a county that is terrible in general.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Ricrude
No life apart from this stupid forum board
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:50 pm I-90 and Hwy 18 interchange in King County WA is putting in one of those diamond things as we speak. I am interested to see how it works when done, because that area is TERRIBLE during rush hour, in a county that is terrible in general.
In the Carolinas they are repairing bridges on the major interstates and replacing them with this pattern. It seems to work a little better
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

Huh, never thought you'd be one of those people.

BTW, I'm a blocker
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:40 pm
necronomous wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:24 pm The problem with the zipper merge is that it completely relies on people doing the right thing. Its a wonderful thing when its done right but then you have idiot fucking moronic CDC types.

Ftfy
It's almost exactly like the growing movement with traffic circles. It's a really great idea for making traffic move. Until one single person screws up the whole system due either to stupidity or ignorance or even sometimes malfeasance.

The next new "idea" is the diverging diamond interchange, swapping temporarily the lane positions. Great idea, until one ignoramus gets it all wrong and messes up all the other drivers.
as a road builder, i fucking hate traffic circles because they are so hard to build. there is no where to put traffic during each phase and you have to cut the thing up into too many pieces.

but as a driver, i love them. they eliminate the HUGE backups that stop signs and even red lights create. They allow people to make their own decisions based on the reality of the situation (not sitting at a red light while no cars are going through the green light) And it allows the dominate traffic lane at the time to control the flow through the circle. We used to have them years ago and they went out of style. But they are coming back with a vengeance now. I am seeing them all over the place.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Biker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:42 pm

BTW, I'm a blocker
Whats your beef with the zipper methodology?
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:04 pm

BTW, I'm a blocker
It sounds like an excuse to just be a selfish prick. I have a hard time believing that it make that much of a difference
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:04 pm

BTW, I'm a blocker
You're trying to use the zipper "methodology" to justify your assholeness.
Homebrew
Actually drinks Natty Lite.

Post by Homebrew »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:50 pm I-90 and Hwy 18 interchange in King County WA is putting in one of those diamond things as we speak. I am interested to see how it works when done, because that area is TERRIBLE during rush hour, in a county that is terrible in general.
Can confirm. That interchange fucking sucks.
What if it was one guy with six guns?
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:40 pm

Ftfy

Yes, we are getting one now where 42 crosses 40. I don't mind the traffic pattern, it's all the idiots. Traffic is so much worse now all the people are moving in, and the construction is making it so much worse.
Last edited by necronomous on Wed May 08, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.